Alcohol Inks are one of my favorite art supplies to make color backgrounds with. Typically the fumes are so strong I have to work in a larger, more ventilated room than my studio. I did not find that to be an issue with these from Brea Reese. No idea why, but the fumes were not a problem.
For this particular piece of Yupo paper, I decided to use turquoise and kelly green for my inks. What I am holding is a blending tool from Ranger. The end has velcro stapled to it and you get these little foam pads that stick to the velcro really well. When you need to replace the foam pad, you peel this one off, toss it in the can and stick a new one on. Easy to do! I put two drops-ish of both colors onto the pad.
Then I just tapped the blending tool all around the little piece of 2.5″ x 3.5″ paper. Four drops is a lot of ink for that small space. I probably should have gone with one drop of each. And remember from two days ago – you don’t get very much control with this particular brand so those drops are probably larger than your normal drop. And that equals a bunch of wet. Just dab around til most of the surface has color.
Then watch the magic happen. Those colors are going to bloom and spread and push and even mix in some places. And you will have a lovely mottled piece of art looking like this.
After it dried I tried dropping a bit more of kelly green to see what would happen, but it didn’t really do much. It just sat there. So the secret to blending and blooming with the Brea Reese is going to be – do everything before it dries.
I promised to show you a better example of the alcohol spritzed parallel to the tile and here it is. I held my little spritzer of blending solution – or rubbing alcohol – about a foot above the tile and just sprayed it in the air parallel to the tile, so the little specks of alcohol floated down onto the Yupo paper. So what you see here is a whole lot of little tiny blooms of alcohol pushing color. The added droplet of kelly green didn’t work once the alcohol ink was dry – but the blending solution worked. That’s also a good thing to know about these inks.
Not a great deal of difference but here it is once the paper was completely dry. Now I will be able to tangle on this with a Copic multiliner. While I had the green out, I made one more tile.
I put one drop of the kelly green on that blending tool I used for the other tile, and just tapped it all around and sat it aside for a bit. I love watching the color spread and move and bloom. This one looks very different from the first one I showed you because a lot of the color was already gone from the foam pad.
While it was still wet I added a couple drops of the kelly green and you can see that lower one started moving and reacting. The top one – not so much.
It’s really strange – the lower drop looks almost identical to the one in the first tile. And you can also see here that the movement stopped pretty quickly . No pretty blooms although I do like the way they look.
I’m still trying to figure out the Brea Reese alcohol inks. Trying to decide if I need more colors or if I should just be happy with the ones I have.