ColorBox has a line of ink pads called Dyestress Blendable Dye Inks. They are very similar to the Ranger Distress Inks. I made a post previously using some of the colors that were new at that time. Since then, ColorBox has released more colors. Yesterday I got a chance to play with them a bit. A lot more techniques to come, but for this one I just used my craft mat and a spritzer bottle of water.
To get started I pulled out a handful of the YouTangle.art Tiles from Hahnemühle, a couple blending tools from Ranger and my new Dyestress ink pads. For this purchase I focused on pinks/purples, blues/green and a yellow.
For the first tile, I started with Posy and Caribbean. I used a blending tool and rubbed some of the Caribbean blue onto my craft mat. I get a little heavy handed with these inks. I can get a more control by rubbing the color onto the mat and lifting the color from there to go onto the tile.
Working from the craft mat, I used the blending tool to lightly rub the color onto the tile in a circular motion. You can see the one darker circle in the middle where I initially forgot to go easy. I spent the rest of my time on this tile trying to cover that up and smooth it out. Does it really matter? No. Not at all.
Then I used the posy and a clean blending tool in the same manner. Rub some onto the mat, then lift from there and make circular motions on the tile. In the middle where the two colors met, I went over lightly with both colors til I got a nice purple-ish blend. The tile could totally be finished at this point and would be ready to tangle.
But I decided I wanted to try something else. Of course. Hahahahaha! I wanted to see if the color would lift away once dry. Water is how I typically test that, so I grabbed a fan brush and some water
I sprayed the water directly onto my mat, picked the water up with the fan brush and . . . .
. . . flicked it all across the tile . . .
. . . and after about 30 seconds, I blotted with a paper towel.
And yes, the color absolutely lifted with a simple water splatter process. Now. Here it is a day later. I wonder if I use a water brush and rub over the color, will more of it lift. Hold on . . . . only very minimally. So any real crazy lifting of color needs to be done when you initially work with the ink. Moving on.
Before I forget, we saw our first moose of the season yesterday. The snows are melting and they are able to get out and start moving around again. Yay!!! As long as they don’t run out in front of my jeep. Again. For my second tile, I used Tahiti, Bumble Bee and Cabernet. Yes, I know you can read those. I just like to type them out. It helps this visual learner remember. These Hahnemühle YouTangle.art Tiles are perfect for these experiments. And we are gearing up for The 100 Day Project (silently screaming NOOOOOO!) and these will be perfect for my tangling each day.
You can see here that I stamped these colors directly onto the mat. Mostly a dry mat.
Then I spritzed the pretty colors with water and got them good and beaded up.
I placed a tile straight down into the color and lifted. Then turned the tile at an angle and made another lift. I was feeling like this was a little too dark.
And I had an idea to lighten that up, but first. I still had some color on the mat. And I didn’t want to waste it.
So I took another tile and blotted and rubbed and pulled through the color, getting as much of it up as I could.
And this was my lovely surprise when I turned the tile over. You may wonder where those specks of pink came from. I did. The last project I made using this particular craft mat – I made splatters with pink acrylic ink. Apparently I didn’t get them all off the mat when I put it away. And now they are off 🙂 Ta-da!
OK, back to the dark side. Uh, tile. The too dark tile. On my now cleared off mat, I rubbed on some of the bumble bee yellow and spritzed it with water . . .
. . . and turned the tile face down into the color and blotted up most of the yellow.
Much better, but there were still places I thought were too dark. So I sprayed water directly onto the tile, waited about 30 seconds, and blotted it with a paper towel. You can see in this photo that some color did lift away. I said well I guess that’s it, then and sat it aside to dry. I made other tiles, but this is all I’m going to show you today. The rest will come tomorrow. Here are today’s tiles once they dried.
An update on us: our basement is flooded big time. Snow is melting, it is raining now and we have water downstairs. The house came with a built in pump and we are using it. Yesterday we weren’t making any headway with the water level, so Mark had to do some work with the lines. Which did not fare well with his back and he is back in bed now. Water pumping out is much better but Mark is paying for it. No results on the MRI – our medical person is gone on vacation so who knows when we will hear anything. Monday I will probably be back at their office telling them I’m not leaving until I have the results. The last time I did that they called security. So if you don’t hear from me at the beginning of the week – send bail money. Also, our chocolate lab Kodi is not doing well. All of a sudden he isn’t eating or drinking and he won’t do the stairs to go outside. He is probably close to 18 years old. I expect we are going to lose Kodi in the next day or so and I have no idea what you do about that when the ground is still frozen and you can’t dig and your digger is down on the bed with a seriously messed up back and can’t walk issue. Prayers, please. Keep ’em coming because we need them big time.